Giving to AOS
In an era of declining state budgets for higher education, the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences depends more than ever on the generosity of alumni and friends to ensure the continued excellence of our programs and resources. All contributions made by private individuals or groups on behalf of the department are processed through the UW Foundation and are tax-deductible.
AOS Department Fund
Our highest priority for new donations is our flexible Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Department Fund. This fund is used for a wide variety of high-priority needs established by the Chair in consultation with the faculty. Examples include
- Support for student travel to conferences and to participate in our Spring Break field observations and measurements course in Colorado.
- Repair and replacement of aging instructional equipment and rooftop weather instruments.
- Outreach and publicity activities, including the departmental newsletter as well as alumni events and special seminars.
- Up to six annual student awards for academic accomplishment or service to the department.
Making Contributions Online
Working together with the UW Foundation, we are able to offer you the convenience of online giving through a secure web site. Click here to donate.
Making Contributions by Mail
If you prefer to pay by check
- The check should be made payable to University of Wisconsin Foundation.
- Please include a memo on your check clearly indicating that your gift is intended for the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Department Fund.
- Mail to:
University of Wisconsin Foundation
US Bank Lockbox
PO Box 78807
Milwaukee, WI 53278-0807
AOS Scholarship Funds
In addition to the AOS Departmental Fund, we have several specialized funds that support scholarships for our students–see table below. If you wish to give to one of these funds, either use the link provided to donate online or write the fund name in the lower-left corner of your check and mail it to the address given above.
|The Lyle Horn Scholarship Fund||Click here to donate||Provides an annual scholarship for excellence in overall performance as an AOS undergraduate in the name of Professor Lyle Horn. Current award is one semester of in-state tuition.|
|Professors Heinz Lettau and Eberhard Wahl Scholarship Fund||Click here to donate||Provides an annual scholarship to an undergraduate student majoring in Atmospheric and Oceanic Studies, based on either need or merit. Current award is one-half semester of in-state tuition.|
|Warren E. Sunkel Scholarship Fund||Click here to donate||Provides one or more cash scholarships to students pursuing a degree in meteorology.|
|Professor Donald R. Johnson Scholarship Fund||Click here to donate||Provides an annual scholarship to a student pursuing a degree in the Department with an intent to continue on to graduate school.|
If you have any questions about the University Foundation or would like to discuss making a major gift or including the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences in your estate planning, please contact our Foundation Representative Ann Lippincott at 608-263-3604 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your support of UW-Madison's Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences!