We are very pleased that you are interested in the graduate program in the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Please contact us with any questions that you have about the application proccess.
The Graduate School Office Of Graduate Admissions provides the online application form, application timeline, an FAQ and other useful information that you will need to apply electronically to our department. Paper applications are no longer available.
Documents Required By Our Department:
1) Statement of Purpose Sample Outline (List any faculty that you would be interested in working with.)
2) Three letters of recommendation. The process for letters of recommendation is explained here. Letters should be from faculty who are familiar with your academic abilities and goals. Letters from supervisors that provide a character reference are also acceptable. We will accept paper copies of the letters of recommendation if you are not able to use the electronic format.
3) Interest List: You will find this at the end of the on-line application.
4) Official transcripts or academic records from each institution attended. Transcripts should be uploaded through the Graduate School electronic application. If you are admitted, we will require one official copy for the department file and the Graduate School will require another copy. The departmental copy should be sent to the address below. If you are unable to submit an electronic copy during the application process, please send one copy to the address below.
5) GRE and TOEFL scores (where applicable). Official scores must be sent electronically to UW-Madison's Graduate School. The institution code is 1846 for both tests. You do not need a department code. We have access to the Graduate School's electronic scores and you do not need to send us a paper copy
Documents that are not submitted electronically should be sent to:
Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences
1225 W. Dayton Street - Room 849
Madison, WI 53706-1695
The Graduate School Checklist tells you what you must send directly to the Graduate School.
Please be sure your application is complete.
The deadline to apply for the upcoming Fall semester is February 1st. The deadline to apply for the upcoming Spring semester is December 1st.
Students who submit their complete application by January 15th have the best chance for assistantship consideration for the Fall semester.
We admit the majority of our students in the Fall semester. We will consider all applications received by February 1 (Fall semester) and December 1 (Spring semester), but the chances of financial support are limited by this time. The basic guideline is that the sooner your apply, the better your chances of getting support.
International students should apply as early as possible. If you are admitted, extra time will be needed to process visa documents.